Monday, July 10, 2017

Sent from Seneca

I am now over the Seneca Indian reservation.
They have a rather small branch down here and all the town's are incredibly small yet I'm in one of the largest areas. Elder McCune, my companion, is from Hawaii. He has been here since he got out in the mission field. 

This week was sick. President Uchtdorf came to our mission on transfers. He is a very calm, humorous, dignified man. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing him speak. It was interesting I had been talking to my companions about fireflies and things, and President Uchtdorf made the simile that we are like fireflies to the world. We give off little lights where ever we go. He covered a lot of things but one quote that my companion and I have been saying all week is "life is wonderful now". He told us not to get caught up in the goals of life and what you look forward to. It was cool because that is my perspective on life so it made me smile to hear it from him.

I have seen that we are on the Lord's errand this week, and that has been really interesting to see how it all works out. Multiple times we would pull up to knock on someone's door and they would pull in right as we were turning around to go back to the car. One of the times was with a man named Jim who works as a firefighter. Elder McCune said that he was interested in reading the book of Mormon but he didn't want to give his information to them when they asked. He said "we'll let God decide if we meet again" so when we drove up we joked that we will see what God decided for him. When we knocked on his door his wife told us he was at the fire station. Then he pulled up. We talked with him for a bit but he was super busy he was actually just coming home for a minute or two to do some yard work. We then went straight to another guys house who pulled up as we did. 
Sometimes you can't see the Lords schedule that you are working on but I know it's always there.

I met two people who were just like my parents. Becky is someone who wants to be baptized. She looks similar to my Mother and she acts just like her. Becky was going to be baptized in March but they found out she is actually still married to someone who she split with a long time ago. So she is just waiting.

Kevin was the guy who is just like my father. We were knocking doors in the small town of Gowanda and we saw him on his back porch. We said hello and asked him if he wanted to hear a message about Christ. He said frick no but we should come over anyways lol. We sat down with him on his porch. He said he respected us and what we did but he wasn't religious at all. He said he just wanted to help us stay in practice as he said. His girlfriend came out and joined us. Her name is Sally. They were both super funny and smart and we had a blast with them. They both got really into the discussion and learned a lot. They had very intelligent questions and we ended up teaching the restoration and most of the plan of salvation. Sally asked us for a copy of the book of Mormon before we could offer one and Kevin declined the offer. He is a design engineer and he is almost always busy. It was very lucky that we even saw him when we did. I talked to him a lot about his job and things afterward.

Today Elder McCune and I went on a hike and that's about it. It was actually the best hike so far. Most of the pictures will be from that.

I'm looking forward to this next area. Elder McCune and I are both really bad with taking pictures so I'm sorry if I never have pictures anymore but we will try.

The last picture is of me and Filo.




No comments:

Post a Comment